Traffic insurance

What is traffic insurance?

  • Traffic insurance provides cover when damage is caused to a third person through the use of a vehicle.
  • In the case of an insured event, the insurance provider will reimburse any property damage or personal injury cause to a third party by the driver of the vehicle.

About contract

Vehicles entered in the Estonian motor vehicle register must have a motor third party liability insurance contract. This contract can be taken out by a person with an insurable interest. The authorised user of the vehicle is obliged to enter into a contract (or the owner if there is no authorised user).

The insurance contract is entered into for a fixed term. The duration of the insurance period may range from 1 day to 12 months. It is prohibited to drive without a valid motor third party liability insurance contract. If you wish, we can send you an offer about entering into a new contract before your existing contract expires. Once you make the insurance payment (by the date provided), we will send you your policy. You can enter into a permanent payment contract with e-invoice for more convenient payments.

Green card

An traffic insurance contract offers insurance cover in Estonia and in the member states of the European Union and European Economic Area. You have to get yourself a green card when you travel abroad. A green card is a certificate of international liability insurance. Traffic damage is indemnified to the injured party according to the standards and limits of the country where the accident occurred.

If you have a valid traffic insurance policy with Swedbank, you can pick up your green card at any Swedbank branch workdays from 8.30 to 17.00 (business hours of the suitable branch can be found here) or we will send it to you by post, when you call to the number 888 1513. You do not have to pay extra for the green card.

We advise you to take your green card with you when you travel to member states of the European Union and European Economic Area in order to avoid any possible misunderstandings at the border.

Who can enter into a motor third party liability insurance contract?

Anyone with an insurable interest can enter into a contract. However, the authorised user (or the lessee in the case of a leased car) is liable for entering into a contract, or the owner of the vehicle if there is no authorised user.

What if I don’t use my car for some time?

If the vehicle is not driven, you don’t need a valid policy. If no motor third party liability insurance policy has been taken out in in a year, automatic paid insurance cover is applied by the Traffic Insurance Fund. If the car is not used for a long time, it makes sense to temporarily delete it from the Road Administration register.

Can I take out a motor third party liability insurance policy for a vehicle that has no valid technical inspection?

Yes, you can. If a vehicle has had no valid technical inspection and no motor third party liability insurance policy for two years, the Road Administration suspends the register entry of the vehicle. A motor third party liability insurance policy may be taken out for such a vehicle for 30 days.

Who should I approach about compensation for damage?

Victims may approach their insurer for claims handling, making proceedings much easier for clients. However, it is important to remember that the victim’s insurer can only compensate damage if the damage was proprietary, nobody was hurt and the amount of the damage does not exceed 10,000 euros.